Maybe you’ve been told that Fall is a wonderful time to detox. Detox, however, is kind of a loaded word, and for many, detox means starvation and/or extreme discomfort. Detoxes, contrary to popular thought, don’t have to be severely discomforting. In fact, they should feel pretty good. They should feel cleansing. It always feels good to purge the old and begin anew. The Fall is probably one of the best seasons to do so.
Detoxing now will help you ward off seasonal colds, keep your immune system in tiptop condition, and prepare your organs for the coming colder months.
It is thought that during this season you must give the lungs and large intestine a little extra attention and TLC. Both alternative and western medical philosophies have determined that these organs are strongly connected to skin and breathing issues like asthma, eczema, rashes and dry skin – all of the most common things to trouble us and get in the way of our Pivotal Fitness Greenville gym workouts in the colder months.
What can you do to subdue these common ailments during the autumn months so you can stay on top of your game at the Pivotal Fitness Greenville athletic club?
- Reduce sugars, flours, dairy and alcohol for a healthy, mucus-free stomach.
- Use warming spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves – the typical fall baking spices – to boost both intestinal and respiratory health.
- Drink warming teas to keep the nasal and respiratory passages in topnotch shape.
- Experiment with green drinks, using seasonal Fall fruits and veggies, including grapes, apples, beats, leafy greens (kale), etc.
- Eat clean. Enjoy lightly-prepared, seasonal Fall foods to support your cleanse (seasonal squashes, root vegetables, etc.)
- Cut out (or limit) meat. This detox is your opportunity to let go of excess proteins and fat your body is storing. Toxins actually accumulate in adipose tissue (fat cells), so your intention is to release all of that garbage.
During your detox, yoga is always a lovely option if your energy is a little too low to pursue your typical workouts at the Pivotal Fitness Greenville sports club. Check out our Greenville yoga and Pilates classes to best support your detox.