- Nourish. Eat three balanced meals per day. Make your first meal of the day rich with protein (at least 30g). Select carbs that are low on the glycemic index. Choose healthy fats. Avoid drinking your calories. Drink lots of water. You know the drill.
- Work out on off times. There’s nothing more irritating than hitting a crowded gym with nothing available. Try to hit the Pivotal Fitness Greenville athletic club at non-peak hours to avoid the crowds and distractions.
- Purchase a heart rate monitor. Heart rate monitors are more accurate in calculating the amount of calories burned compared to machines. Purchase one of these to get a true reading.
- Consult Pivotal Fitness Greenville gym trainers. Need guidance? Don’t hesitate to ask our crew!
- Inhale. Exhale. Repeat. Breathe through your workouts. Cultivate a steady, rhythmic breath. Less thinking, more breathing.
- Build strength. Don’t fear lifting! Building strength is far more important in terms of fat loss than cardio. The next best thing to strength training is maintaining a balanced, healthy diet. So, choose foods that support you and your workouts.
- Work with a personal trainer. If you need more one-on-one assistance, set up a few sessions with our Pivotal Fitness Greenville gym personal trainers.
- Strike a balance between effort and ease. Know when to push through it, and know when to back off. Sometimes pain does not equal gain. Listen up to your body’s needs.
- Sport wicking wear. Sweaty, sticky gym clothes can be uncomfortable and distracting. Avoid this phenomenon and select wicking wear. This material breathes beautifully and prevents sweat build-up. Plus, it prevents skin irritation and breakouts.
- Limit pre and post-workout treats. Don’t overdo it on the snacks. Try to get all of your fuel from your daily 3 balanced meals, but if you must, opt for a snack that is high in protein and not too carb heavy. Be judicious. Nut and nut butters are excellent in moderation. Wash down your treats with lots of water.
This weekend was physically rough. I got in 5 hours of yoga meets martial arts on Saturday and made the terrible mistake of not really taking care of my body post-workout. So, now that I’m moaning and groaning as a result of physical discomfort, I took it upon myself to do a little research. What should I have done differently in order to avoid the severe soreness and muscle fatigue? What should you be doing post-workout at the Pivotal Fitness Greenville gym?
- Hydrate! After you workout at the Pivotal Fitness Greenville gym, it’s super important (especially as summer approaches) to replace the fluids you lost. Lack of hydration will delay your recovery process. Stay on top of it and hydrate with water or my preference, coconut water, to reimburse your body with all those lost electrolytes.
- Refuel. Within 60 minutes post-workout you need to nourish your body. Eat up on a healthy source of protein or complex carbs to energize and aid the recovery process.
- Relax and restore. After you do something intensely physical, it’s important to grant your body a break. Take a day off to take it easy with some gentle stretching and/or restorative yoga. Do yourself a favor and check out our Greenville yoga classes.
- Book a massage. Get some deep tissue stimulation going to enhance circulation and relaxation. I think I might be booking one of these today to make up for my lack of recovery efforts.
- Ice. Take an ice bath or place ice packs on areas of soreness. This should happen within 24 hours of your workout for it to be most effective.
- Get some shut-eye. Magical things happen when you get good quality Zzz’s. As you sleep, your body produces Growth Hormone (GH) which induces tissue growth and repair. Sleep is definitely not overrated. It’s completely necessary, especially after high intensity physical exercise.
- Snooze, don’t booze. Drinking post-workout can actually impair your body’s ability to recover quickly and effectively. I know it’s tempting. Nothin’ like a cold beer to top off a crazy, sweaty workout, right? Avoid the temptation.
- Roll out. Get a foam roller to release a lot of the soreness that accompanies an intense workout. Roll it out to remove knots and prevent body imbalances from surfacing.
Play it safe post-workout at the Pivotal Fitness Greenville gym. Recover mindfully or you may be sorry.
Sign Up For Pivotal Updates
Follow us on Facebook
Monday – Thursday : 5:00 AM – 9:00 PM
Friday: 5:00 AM – 8:00 PM
Saturday: 8:00 AM -6:00 PM
Sunday: 12 Noon – 6:00 PM
*July 4th, 2022: 8:00 AM – 2:00 PM