The summer season is just around the corner and you know what that means: swimsuit-sportin’ season is just as close. So, it’s time to get your core sexy, sculpted, and summer-ready! And you know what’s all about transforming and toning the core? Yoga.
Here’s 6 accessible yoga poses to bust out at the Greenville gym to strengthen your abs in preparation for a sun-kissed, sculpted stomach. But vanity aside, a strong core does wonders for your lower back health, posture, balance, etc. So, if you could care less about a toned and trimmed tummy, these yoga poses are still most definitely worth your while and will help support your other wellness and Greenville health club fitness goals.
- Plank Pose. Work up to a 2-minute hold. After you have Plank mastered, take it on your forearms. Also, work up to a 2-minute hold.
- Side Plank. Work up to a 1-minute hold on each side. After you have that mastered, take side plank of your forearms. Again, shoot for a 1-minute hold on each side. These side planks target your obliques aka the “corset muscles.”
- Navasana (Boat Pose). You can bend your knees (keeping your shins parallel to the ground) for a modified, more accessible version.
- Ardha Navasana (Half Boat Pose). Make sure the shoulders are off the ground and the legs are extended!
- Cat/Cow Exercises. Really emphasize drawing the navel up and in (toward the spine) as you round your back and push out your breath completely. This works those deeper core muscles that do so much to support your stability and balance. Cat/Cow exercises are also great for warming up the spine in preparation for your Greenville health center workouts.
- Chaturanga Dandasana (the “yoga push-up”). Keep the elbows in toward the body and aligned with the shoulders when you’re lowered. To start, try 3 sets of 5 Chaturanga push-ups. Don’t drop the belly or the hips. If you need to drop your knees to the ground, no worries. Whatever you do, no worming! Keep the spine straight!
For more core-centric asana guidance, hit up a Greenville yoga or Pilates class. If you don’t have time for a full-on yoga class, just mix these poses into your regular Greenville athletic club strength-building routine.
Enjoy the journey toward deep core strength!